Visitors Feedback Form

United Republic of Tanzania  
  • Mwl. Julius K. Nyerere
  • Sheikh Abeid Amani Karume
How Do I
Read More » ...
Home HOW DO I Apply for Citizenship

Ease of Access

Any person who is not a citizen of Tanzania whether by birth or by descent may apply for Tanzania citizenship by naturalization to the Minister responsible for citizenship matters


  • Resided in Tanzania for twelve months immediately preceding the date of application.
  • During the ten years immediately preceding the period of 12 months he resided in the United Republic for periods amounting in the aggregate do not less than seven years,
  • Adequate knowledge of Kiswahili or the English language.
  • Good character.
  • Potential to the national economy.
  • Intends if naturalized to continue to reside permanently.


  • Fill in prescribed application Forms A.
  • Submit to the Ward Executive Secretary or Sheha in case of Zanzibar where you reside.
  • Application will be submitted to District Immigration Office.
  • Pay a prescribe fee of USD 1500 nonrefundable.
  • Publish in two consecutive issues of the daily newspapers registered in Tanzania the intention to apply for naturalization.
  • You will be interviewed by the District Defense and Security Committee.
  • District Immigration Officer forwards the application to the Regional Immigration Officer then to the Regional Defense and Security Committee for further scrutiny.
  • Regional Immigration Officer forwards the application to the Principal 
    Commissioner of Immigration Services for his recommendation to the Minister.
  • In Zanzibar before the application is sent to the Principal Commissioner of
    Immigration Services, the Commissioner of Immigration Services Zanzibar 
    forwards the application to the office of the Second Vice President for
    recommendation and later submitted to the Principal Commissioner of
    Immigration Services for recommendation to the Minister.
  • The Principal Commissioner of Immigration Services forwards the recommended
    application to the Minister.
Source: Government Portal Content Team, Last Reviewed on: 31-10-2018
Click here to subscribe this page
Subscribe new content on this page